Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Nice White Lady

So I'm in the middle of the third week. Halfway done! My students are doing so well. They are really catching on and some have a lot of talent. We are finishing up all the basics and the next few weeks they will be honing their skills. We are also finally approved to leave campus. We will be renting a bus and driving to different work sites around Chicago to photograph before and afters for the program One Summer Chicago. I'm really hoping it goes well and we don't have any major problems away from campus.

Today I made a rookie teacher mistake. We had half an hour of class left and the boys had pretty much had enough. We were critiquing the photos we had taken that day. One boy would not stop talking. He would argue with other kids to the point they would ask me to stop talking so they could argue. So I told him that if he wanted to talk during my class he could just teach the rest of the class and lead the critique/discussion. Well he took my seat and started talking in a girly voice mocking me. "Oh who took this photo! I just have to know! I just love it! Look at these lines!" etc etc.

At first I laughed out of embarrassment thinking surely I don't sound like that! Ha! But I started asking him to explain some hard concepts and eventually he took it more seriously. He ended up leading until the very end, but I felt like it backfired and none of them were taking it seriously. Next time I think I will just kick him out.

I have one boy in my class who takes it very seriously. He's the one who just graduated and is going to attend college in the Fall. I found out that after the first day of class he went home and Googled the user manual for the camera so he would know how to use it! I couldn't believe it! If he continues to apply himself he will go far in life.

My sister sent this to me.

1 comment:

Nog Blog said...

That was a great video. Just call it Tall White Lady, and there you are! Keep the posts coming, I love hearing about your adventure!